My guest for Episode #272 is Steve Thompson, Director of Patient Driven Supply Network initiatives for Cardinal Health, a global, integrated healthcare services and products company. He is also a Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt, dating back to his time spent working in the automotive industry.
In today's episode, we talk about his lessons learned from General Motors and Lear Corporation and how he's helping healthcare leaders apply these lessons to improve their supply chain operations.
In the past year, I've had a partnership with Cardinal Health, which has led to content like this webinar and article. That partnership led to the chance to meet Steve last year, and I'm very pleased to have him on the podcast. Enjoy!
Streaming Player (Run Time 52:55)
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/272.
Topics and Links for this Episode:
- Please introduce yourself and your background… how did you get introduced to Lean?
- What are some of the key lessons you learned in the auto industry?
- About Lean, materials management, and supply chains?
- What does Scott say “Lean doesn't do?”
- Why you should start with Lean to get things under control and then apply Six Sigma
- About leadership? How can leaders be “friendly toward change”
- How do leaders need to learn how to lead differently
- What lessons do you see as most applicable to healthcare organizations and supply chains?
- Examples of healthcare supply chain improvement?
- Change management challenges and advise for dealing with them?
- Is it hard to get healthcare leaders to accept applicable ideas from other industries?
- Cars are designed for productivity… are healthcare supply chains?
- Advice for healthcare materials or supply chain leaders?
- Advice for healthcare executives about the strategic importance of the supply chain?
- Steve is speaking at LogiMed U.S. 2017, being held this March in Austin.
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher. Please leave us a review and rating!
Thanks for listening!
Podcast Summaries and Articles:
You can also read and download this 5-page PDF summary of the podcast:
You can also read these summary articles on LinkedIn:
- What Does a Former Auto Industry Leader Think About Lean and Six Sigma for Healthcare & Beyond?
- The Challenges of Healthcare Supply Chains & Lessons We Can Learn From the Automotive Industry
Presentation by Steve Thompson:
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.