In Episode 20, Mark Graban and Jamie Flinchbaugh join the Colorado Lean Summit live and host a virtual happy hour while discussing the first couple days of the event's proceedings. Joining us as co-hosts are Colorado Lean Network (CLN) members Jen House (also a board member) and Katie Benik. We took some questions, shared what people were drinking in the chat, and had our own chat about what we've learned from the Summit.
We started by sharing our whiskey selections in the “budget-friendly” category. We certainly had some variation, ranging from Buffalo Trace to Skrewball. Those watching weren't forced into our theme, so we had more adventurous and elaborate selections from our audience.
The first takeaway that we discussed was from Deondra Wardelle's talk, and the challenge of shifting from micromanaging controlling manager to a leader who encourages people to experiment, take action, and learn. We then talked about the theme of respect for people, a key lean tenant, and how hard people find it to be specific about how it is applied. We then turned to Renee Smith's point of replacing fear with love and providing psychological safety. We concluded talking about Dan Markovitz's points about framing problem statements.
In wrapping up, we shared information about CLN's charity project, Community College of Aurora's Unity Scholarship to open more opportunities for future Black leaders to reach their highest potential. CLN matched the first $500 donated, and Jamie and Mark are matching the next $500 in donations. The donation channel is open through October 16th.
And finally, our fun question: what's your favorite lean-related word, but for a silly reason? The answers included muda, poka-yoke, verschlimmbesserung, and queuing. So get this podcast out of your queue and give it a listen!
Listen or Watch
Here is the episode if you want to stream it or scroll down to watch it:
Subscribe, Rate, and Review!
Cheers! If you have any feedback or ideas for the podcast, let us know!
Episode #20 Show Links:
Here are some links from the show:
- Colorado Lean Network's 2020 Virtual Lean Summit
- Co-hosts Jen House and Katie Benik
- Mark's ZERO hat giveaway for World Patient Safety Day
- Our whiskeys included Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Kirkland Blended, and Skrewball Peanut Butter whiskey
- Jamie's blog post on myths of respect for people
- Mark's post about verschlimmbesserung
- The scholarship for the Community College of Aurora
Please review us and subscribe!
Please review us and subscribe in your favorite podcast directory or platform.What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Highlights from GE CEO Larry Culp's Remarks at the AME Conference in Dallas - November 27, 2022
- Thanksgiving and Gratitude – Can We Be Thankful For Waste, Problems, and Mistakes? - November 23, 2022
- Toyota Was Helped, not Hampered, by TPS During the Pandemic - November 22, 2022