Virginia Mason’s CEO on Health Reform
Dr. Gary Kaplan, the CEO of Virginia Mason Medical Center is now part of an effort called “Health CEOS for Health Reform“. He posted a video on YouTube talking about health reform, framing some of it in a “lean” or Toyota Production System perspective.
For more on the “Virginia Mason Production System,” click here for a quick overview.
- Need to stop complaining and take action
- The path to better quality and safety is the same as the path to reduced cost
- Our system is so full of waste (non-value-added activities), need to systematically reduce and eliminate that waste
- Policy makers should think big and get honest about what's possible
- Improvement is not coming from a technological arms race