In Episode 18, Mark Graban and Jamie Flinchbaugh return to our tried and true format of “just the two of us”, although that won't last long as Mark will soon have a guest co-host and then we will record an episode live as part of the Colorado Lean Network Summit. Jamie decides to move to the porch, a “proper” whiskey drinking spot in contrast to his office, which might be a new standard (at least until winter).
In this episode, we begin by remembering the life of Bill Hanson, who is a co-founder of MIT's Leaders for Manufacturing program, now called Leaders for Global Operations. Mark and Jamie are both graduates. As we toast Bill's contributions, we begin sipping our whiskey selection, each choosing a scotch from Islay. Mark is drinking Ardbeg Ultimate 10 Year and Jamie is drinking 16 year old Lagavulin.
In the News, we start by talking about Mark's blog handover to Deondra Wardelle, who has collected a series of authors to write under the hashtag #rootcauseracism. We continue further to explore articles about asynchronous work. The pandemic has forced many to change their work, leading some to just work harder with less effective and efficient work structures, while others are redesigning how they work leveraging asynchronous work as the pivot.
We also explore the frequent questions that Mark and Jamie receive asking for how companies solve problems, and explore both the proper mindset and framing of benchmarking. We invoke a little Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park on the value of earning knowledge for yourself. We finish with a discussion of the books we are currently reading. Until next time, cheers!
Listen or Watch
Here is the episode if you want to stream it or scroll down to watch it:
Subscribe, Rate, and Review!
Cheers! If you have any feedback or ideas for the podcast, let us know!
Episode #18 Show Links:
Here are some links from the show:
- Watch the video version of the episode
- You can check out our YouTube channels, Mark's here and Jamie's here
- Remembering MIT's Bill Hanson
- Colorado Lean Network's 2020 Virtual Lean Summit
- Ardbeg's Space Whisky
- Lagavulin 16 Year Old
- Ron Swanson makes a brief visit to Lagavulin
- Leanblog.org's #rootcauseracism project
- Randall Pinkett's 7 Myths of Racial Equity
- What If Working From Home Could Be Different To How It's Been Until Now?
- Slowing Down to Speed Up – Effective Asynchronous Communication for Teams
- What Remote Companies Can Teach About Asynchronous Communication
- Jeff Goldblum's Jurassic Park lecture on earning knowledge
- Jamie and Mathtech's series on Reimagining Government
- Book: The Invincible Company
- Book: The Map of Knowledge
- Book: How To Be An Anti-Racist
- Book: Stamped from the Beginning
Please review us and subscribe!
Please review us and subscribe in your favorite podcast directory or platform.Note: Comments have been turned off for the time being to try to shut down excessive spam/bot traffic to the site. If you'd like to add a comment, please share the post on LinkedIn or Twitter with your comments and thoughts. Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.