Thanks as always to Ryan McCormack for this… there's always so much good reading, listening, and viewing shared here by him!
News, blogs, articles, resources, and links about creating value, continuous improvement, innovation, and leadership.
Healthcare – Creating Value for Patients
Communication is usually cited as the process in most need of improvement in hospitals. A low-cost solution that any clinical team or management team should try: Just Huddle
No – this is not an April Fool's post. A disturbing precedent was set in Tennessee as a nurse has been found criminally responsible for an accidental fatal injection of a 75 year-old ICU patient. Willful negligence should be punished, but I predict the consequences of jailing clinical staff for accidental errors will include fear, opacity, and suppression of risks – none of which will contribute to increased patient safety in the long term.
Some other interesting articles on the RaDonda Vaught case:
- ‘Who is going to replace them?' Nurse's guilty verdict in patient death raises concern in industry
- Guilty verdict for former nurse in death of woman accidentally given wrong medication sets “dangerous precedent,” nurses warn
- Petition to grant RaDonda Vaught clemency garners 120K signatures
Seth Godin reminds us that “heroes use systems, they aren't held back by them”. Strategy shouldn't be an episodic event, but rather a capability that should be practiced often. ‘Implementation Is the Weak Sister of Strategic Thinking' Remember the cardinal rule of brainstorming of “don't criticize or judge ideas” or “no idea is a bad idea”? Research casts doubt on it Improve Creative Brainstorming With Constructive Criticism
Leading & Enabling Excellence
Apparently, some companies are, *gasp* talking to employees about how to retain them. The tool companies are deploying to help keep staff from quitting in a hot labour market
Coaching – Developing Self & Others
I sometimes find myself using “coach” mode on my young daughter. Turns out I'm not alone. How Your Leadership Style Can Inform Your Parenting.
Books, Podcasts, Videos
Books I'm reading:
I recently finished
- Win from Within: Build Organizational Culture for Competitive Advantage
- Don't Blame the Lettuce: Insights to Help You Grow as a Leader and Nurture Your Workplace Culture
- How to Begin: Start Doing Something That Matters
I will share some reviews next mixtape.
Podcasts I'm listening to:
Too many gems to list from Ret. General Stanley McChrystal: The Essence of Leadership. Listened to it twice.
Follow Ryan & Subscribe:
What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Ryan McCormack's Operational Excellence Mixtape: September 23, 2022 - September 23, 2022
- Ryan McCormack's Operational Excellence Mixtape: September 9, 2022 - September 9, 2022
- Ryan McCormack's Operational Excellence Mixtape: August 26nd, 2022 - August 29, 2022