Joining me for Episode 346 of the podcast is Mark Ryan, a Transformation Coach and Lean Six Sigma Black Belt at Franciscan Health.
Mark will be one of the hosts and facilitators at our upcoming “Kaizen Live!” site visit event at Franciscan St. Francis Health in Indianapolis. Only two spots remain, so register today if you'd like to join us.
As we talk about in the episode, Franciscan does much more than daily Kaizen. They've built upon that foundation of staff engagement to add other Lean practices — under the banner of what they call “Managing for Daily Improvement,” or MDI. They use “strategy deployment” and other methods to align the organization in their goals and improvement efforts.
I hope you enjoy the discussion, whether you are joining us in Indianapolis or not.
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/346.
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher or Spotify.
New! Subscribe and listen with Spotify:
Questions, Topics, and Links:
- Please introduce yourself… what was your background and career before you got into healthcare?
- How did you start working at Franciscan St. Francis Health?
- What is different about working in healthcare?
- What's your role now?
- What does “business transformation” mean at Franciscan?
- Tell us about “Kaizen “at Franciscan
- I've been able to see and learn about your Managing for Daily Improvement (MDI) system there… in a nutshell, what is MDI?
- What has been your approach to spreading this MDI method?
- What are some of the challenges? What “how might we?” questions do you ask?
- In what ways was Kaizen a good foundation for MDI?
- How do daily Kaizen and A3 problem solving work together?
- When do you use PDSA vs. DMAIC as the framework?
- What's the balance between Lean and Six Sigma at Franciscan?
- Could an organization adopt Kaizen and MDI all together… or start with Kaizen? Does it matter?
- What do you expect people will see at the Kaizen Live! event?
- Tell us about Lean Coffee Indy…
- What other advice would you have for healthcare leaders about Kaizen or MDI?
Thanks for listening!What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Jody Crane, MD: Lean in Emergency Medicine and Hospitals; 3 Big Issues Causing Tough Times in Healthcare - February 1, 2023
- Alternative History: GM Uses Lean to Remain #1 in the Auto Industry - January 31, 2023
- Fall in Love with the Problem, not the Solution: In Entrepreneurship and Continuous Improvement - January 29, 2023