Podcast #343 – Amanda Mewborn, Combining Engineering and Nursing
My guest for Episode #343 of the podcast is Amanda Mewborn, an executive director of project management for Piedmont Health.
I've known Amanda through the Society for Health Systems and she's one of the very small number of people I know with both engineering and nursing degrees. She has a B.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering and an M.S. in Health Systems from Georgia Tech and a B.S. in nursing from Georgia State University.
So, in today's episode, we talk about that interesting combination of skill sets and why she got a nursing degree. We also chat about her career in healthcare, along with some of the facility design and construction work she has been involved with. We also hear her thoughts on why it's important to have the engagement and involvement of front-line staff (and patients) in the design process.
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/343.
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher or Spotify.
New! Subscribe and listen with Spotify:
Questions, Topics, and Links:
- Amanda's LinkedIn page
- Why did you choose Industrial Engineering as a degree and career?
- What were some of your early steps in your career?
- Why did you decide to get a nursing degree?
- Are there some key differences between an “engineering mindset” and a “nursing thought process?”
- Are there ways in which engineering helps you be a better nurse?
- Did the nursing education help you be a better engineer in some way?
- What do you wish engineers or managers knew about nursing?
- What are some examples of improvement work that you've been involved in?
- Reducing c.diff rates and the power of testing ideas
- In the spirit of “Practicing Lean,” can you think of a situation in your career that you would have handled differently today – knowing what you know now?
- Advice for young Industrial Engineers who want to work in healthcare?
- If you had a magic wand and could change one thing about hospitals, what would it be?
- What do you like most about your involvement in the Society for Health Systems?
Thanks for listening!
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- How to Create a Continuous Improvement Culture by Closing the GAPS — with Katie Anderson - March 30, 2023
- Interview with Mit Vyas: Insights on Learning from Toyota, Entrepreneurial Success, and Mindfulness Practices - March 29, 2023
- Recorded Webinar on Building a Culture of Continuous Improvement through Organizational Habits - March 22, 2023