Podcast #340 – @JoyFurnival, Lean in NHS England
Joining me for Episode #340 of the podcast is Dr. Joy Furnival CEng MIET, an experienced senior NHS manager, improvement leader, and chartered engineer. I first crossed paths with Joy at a Lean healthcare event in England back in 2007. At the time, she was working for David Fillingham and the Bolton NHS Trust, which was an early adopter of Lean in the NHS.
In this episode, we talk about how we are, in some ways, “Lean twins,” as we both started our careers as engineers in manufacturing. Our career paths then diverged when she joined the NHS whilst I've worked as an outside consultant.
I very much appreciate her perspectives as we talk about her roles in a few different hospitals and as a “national improvement advisor” for the NHS. I hope you'll enjoy the conversation as much as I did.
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/340.
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher or Spotify.
New! Subscribe and listen with Spotify:
Questions, Topics, and Links:
- Please introduce yourself to the audience… what are some of the major roles you've had in your career?
- How did you get introduced to Lean?
- “Japanese management techniques,” “Lean Thinking” — Just in Time
- How did you get to shift from manufacturing to healthcare, personally?
- In the chemicals industry, did you get resistance because they didn't build cars like Toyota?
- What were some of your experiences with Lean at the Bolton NHS Foundation Trust?
- “They're really trying to do Lean properly”
- Why Lean?
- What was your role as the Head of Lean Transformation?
- Lessons learned?
- Tell us about your PhD studies and your thesis…
- What was your national role? “NHS Improvement”
- Is it possible to generalize about an “NHS approach to Lean”?
- What is your approach now with Lean at Blackburn?
Thanks for listening!
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Recorded Webinar on Building a Culture of Continuous Improvement through Organizational Habits - March 22, 2023
- From Fear to Improvement: Results of Our Poll on Companies' Responses to Mistakes - March 16, 2023
- Discovering the Benefits of Data-Driven DEI: An Interview with Dr. Randal Pinkett on his New Book - March 14, 2023