Lean Whiskey #35: Going to “Gemba” at Scotch Whisky Distilleries; Work Retreats
We're tired, but not tired of whisky. A gemba walk will pick us up…
Here is the episode if you want to stream the audio:
In Episode 35, Mark is recently back from his Scotland gemba visit. He isn't tired from jet lag, or from whiskey, but nevertheless, Mark and Jamie both end up complaining about being tired. Maybe we're just…old (gasp). We also didn't plan our color coordination (for those on video).
We focus this episode on going to the gemba in the making of scotch whisky, from Mark's recent trip. We talk about what is learned by going to the gemba, both in general and specific to whisky. You can hear more about peat, malting, distilling, and maturing, including is maturing inventory or a value-adding step?
Of course, we also select scotch as our whisky of choice, opting for more obscure selections that you may not have heard of. Both were excellent.
We also spend a little time talking about work retreats, whether it be for writing a book as both Mark and Jamie do, strategic thinking as Bill Gates would do, or just simply reflection and planning. We conclude by discussing what job at a distiller we would most like to do, although neither of us likely has the requisite skills. Slainte!
Links From the Show:
- Jamie at the National Association of Corporate Directors Summit
- Mark heading soon to the Association of Manufacturing Excellence and the Iowa Lean Consortium conferences. Look for him!
- GE's Larry Culp's message.
- Former Supreme Allied Commander of NATO, Admiral Stavridis at NACD
- Jamie's whisky selection Kilchoman
- Mark's whisky selection Glen Scotia
- Where are Islay, Jura, Campeltown?
- Ron Swanson's visit to Lagavullin
- Journeyman in western Michigan, Two James in Detroit, and Traverse City Whiskey up north
- The Multnomah Whiskey Library in Portland
- Jamie's post: how to do an effective personal work retreat
Please review us and follow!
Subscribe, Rate, and Review!
Please check out the main LeanWhiskey.com page if you want to subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, or RSS. Please rate and review the podcast too!
Cheers! If you have any feedback or ideas for the podcast, let us know!
Find the podcast feed and past episodes at LeanWhiskey.com or at leanblog.org/leanwhiskey or at jflinch.com/leanwhiskey
Please review us and subscribe or follow in your favorite podcast directory or platform.
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.