Podcast #236 – Dr. John Toussaint Discussing Lean Transformation, Healthcare Improvement
For episode #236, things are a little different than usual. Today, I wanted to share a video discussion between my friends Ted Stiles and John Toussaint, MD.
Ted is a partner with the recruiting firm Stiles & Associates. John, of course, is the president of the ThedaCare Center for Healthcare Value and has been a frequent guest in my podcast series.
John's most recent book is Management on the Mend, which we discussed in episode #225.
Streaming Player (Run Time 45:05)
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/236.
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher.
Here is the video of their discussion:
Thanks to Ted and John for sharing it.
Some topics and quotes:
- Payment reform
- Tools vs principles
- Evolution of the ThedaCare center
'It's unacceptable that this industry is hurting and killing people' - John Toussaint, MD Click To Tweet
'You can't delegate the leadership aspects of Lean. You have to be directly involved as CEO.' - John Toussaint, MD Click To Tweet
- From tools and projects to management system and culture
- Leading with humility
'I see a lot of CEOs just sitting their office... They don't have a clue about their business. It's actually your job to understand the business.' Click To Tweet
'Staff need the power to solve problems every day. The CEOs job is to support those staff members.' Click To Tweet
- Why 55 true north metrics is a bad idea
- Starting with a model cell
- The role of the “central improvement office”
- Many CEOs don't know what they don't know
- You have to bring in people who have experience with Lean
- Then your goal is to build your own system so you don't need outside help
- VA endorses Lean and CMS endorses Lean
Other Videos with John Toussaint, M.D.:
A playlist of four videos:
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Recorded Webinar on Building a Culture of Continuous Improvement through Organizational Habits - March 22, 2023
- From Fear to Improvement: Results of Our Poll on Companies' Responses to Mistakes - March 16, 2023
- Discovering the Benefits of Data-Driven DEI: An Interview with Dr. Randal Pinkett on his New Book - March 14, 2023