MP3 File (run time 34:56)
My guest today for Episode 202 is Patrick Graupp, co-author of the excellent book Getting to Standard Work in Health Care: Using TWI to Create a Foundation for Quality Care, co-authored with Martha Purrier from Virginia Mason Medical Center. If you're brand new to the Training Within Industry (TWI) model, you might want to first listen to Episode 196, with Jim Huntzinger, on “What is TWI?“
Patrick is also a senior master trainer with the TWI Institute. His other publications include the book The TWI Workbook: Essential Skills for Supervisors, a Shingo Research and Professional Publication Prize Recipient for 2007 and Implementing TWI: Creating and Managing a Skills-Based Culture which was published by Productivity Press.
In the episode, we discuss topics including:
- How often do you meet Lean practitioners who don't know about TWI?
- What are some of the challenges that hospitals address using TWI?
- How did Virginia Mason get introduced to these concepts?
- How has TWI helped in healthcare?
- About the TWI Institute and Patrick's work
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/202.
More info and links related to this podcast:
Previous podcasts on TWI:
- #196: (3/18/14) Jim Huntzinger, What is TWI?
- #104: (11/23/10) Dr. Peter Patterson, Lean in Histopathology
- #28: (7/29/07) Norman Bodek, on Training Within Industry and more
- #15: (1/7/07) Jim Huntzinger about the “Training Within Industry” program
Other Related References & Links:
Video with Patrick and Martha talking about the book:
You might also be interested in an eBook with transcripts from some of my favorite podcasts:
Feedback & Comments:
If you have feedback on the podcast, or any questions for me or my guests, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call and leave a voicemail by calling the “Lean Line” at (817) 993-0630 or contact me via Skype id “mgraban”. Please give your location and your first name. Any comments (email or voicemail) might be used in follow ups to the podcast.