Error Proofing Against Drinking Bad Tap Water at #HIMSS13
Here in New Orleans, there was a problem with the city water today and there's a 24-hour “boil water” order in effect through tomorrow morning. We could play a good game of the 5 Whys:
- Why can't we drink the water? It's potentially unsafe
- Why? The water pressure dropped earlier this morning
- Why? Because there was a power outage
- Why? Because there was a small fire
- Why? We don't know (publicly… yet?)
So, while I'm sure the city is being overly careful, I don't want to risk being sick for my talk.
I might forget to not drink the water or forget to not brush my teeth with it. So, I've placed a bottle of water in my hotel sink as a reminder to not use the tap. It's probably more effective than telling myself to not forget and it's probably more effective than posting a warning sign.
In the spirit of Kaizen (or continuous improvement), I'm happy to publish and share my idea with others!
What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Thanksgiving and Gratitude – Can We Be Thankful For Waste, Problems, and Mistakes? - November 23, 2022
- Toyota Was Helped, not Hampered, by TPS During the Pandemic - November 22, 2022
- An Amazing Reframing of Failure, in Sports and at Work - November 21, 2022