My guest for Episode #262 is Steven J. Spear (@stevenjspear on Twitter). He is author of the fantastic book The High-Velocity Edge: How Market Leaders Leverage Operational Excellence to Beat the Competition.
He’s a Senior Lecturer at the MIT Sloan School of Management and recently taught a summer course on Lean and Six Sigma for the Leaders for Global Operations program (I graduated from that program in 1999 when MIT was teaching TQM in that summer course) and he also teaches executive education programs for MIT Sloan.
Steve is going to be one of the keynote speakers at the upcoming Northeast L.E.A.N. Conference, being held October 4th and 5th in Massachusetts. I hope you’ll check it out, as I’ve participated in past years and it’s always been great (and you get to meet Bruce Hamilton of “Toast Kaizen” fame).
Streaming Player (Run Time 44:09)
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/262.
Topics & links for this episode:
- Steve’s article “Beyond the Jargon,” which forms the basis for this conversation.
- As you write, “jargon like “gemba,” “kaizen,” “LEAN,” statistical process control” seems irrelevant to people in healthcare and contrary to the medical approach?
- How can we help people see the parallels and applicability?
- Why do outsiders think manufacturing is “deceptively “routine”?
- Are there examples of “better apples” that you’ve seen in healthcare recently who are dramatically outperforming others, even though they have the same underlying equipment, facilities, and staff credentials and education?
- “Some organizations are delivering more value, quicker, and easier.”
- “You can never delegate responsibility [as a leader].”
- To receive some articles from Steve, send an email to HVELLC@sendyourslides.com with the subject line HPE-HVE
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple iTunes. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher.
Thanks for listening!
Past Podcasts and Blog Posts:
Videos with Steve Spear:
Thanks for reading! I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please scroll down to post a comment. Click here to receive posts via email.
Now Available – The updated, expanded, and revised 3rd Edition of Mark Graban’s Shingo Research Award-Winning Book Lean Hospitals: Improving Quality, Patient Safety, and Employee Engagement. You can buy the book today, including signed copies from the author.