Joining me for Episode #285 is my friend and colleague, Karen Martin. She was previously a guest on Episode #151 where we discussed her book The Outstanding Organization and #190 we discussed her book Value Stream Mapping book. Her upcoming book is titled Clarity First: How Wise Leaders and Organizations Achieve Outstanding Performance.
Karen reached out with a provocative question that's easy to discuss, but hard to answer: “Is Lean Dead?” The reason she asked is that she's heard murmuring and read articles that ask “is it time for something new?” or if we're somehow in a “post-Lean” world.
I hope you enjoy the discussion where we explore this question and topic. We'd love to hear your thoughts about this if you'd like to leave a comment here on the post.
Streaming Player (Run Time 42:46)
For a link to use for this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/285.
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher.
Topics and Questions
- Is Lean Dead? Are there more people saying Lean is ineffective and we need to try something new?
- “What's beyond Lean?” is something people have asked
- Are the reports of the death of Lean exaggerated?
- Do people try something and conclude it doesn't work?
- Is it about the methodology or the approach they took?
- What are the short-term and the long-term results that are seen and should be expected?
- Who decides what's “right” or “wrong” when it comes to Lean and the approach organizations take?
- An example of a “Lean Sigma” curriculum that doesn't include much Lean
- What books do you recommend for people who are learning about Lean?
- Is it hard for outsiders to see the totality of the Lean / TPS approach?
- Blog posts on “Motivational Interviewing“
PDF Episode Summary
You can download a 4-page PDF summary of this post:
Video of Karen MartinWhat do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Fall in Love with the Problem, not the Solution: In Entrepreneurship and Continuous Improvement - January 29, 2023
- Do You Have a Culture of Learning From Mistakes in Your Healthcare Organization? - January 26, 2023
- What Do We Mean by Vulnerable Acts in the Context of Psychological Safety? - January 25, 2023