Bernita is originally from Kansas and has a Bachelor of Architecture from Kansas State University and a Certificate in Regional and Community Planning. She moved to Dallas in 1996 and has been employed by HKS, Inc in Dallas since that time.
We first crossed paths when we had the opportunity to work together on a project for Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis to work with staff and leaders on designing parts of a new patient tower. You can read a bit about that work here. You might also remember her guest post on the blog from 2013. I hope you enjoy our conversation.
Streaming Player (Run Time 39:36)
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/265.
Topics and Links for this episode:
- How did you get introduced to Lean?
- What process do you use with clients for “Lean Design” or “Lean Project Delivery?”
- How is it different than the “traditional model?”
- What are some of the successes you've seen?
- The role of the construction firm?
- Physical mockups vs. virtual reality technologies
- Reducing waste instead of “stripping out cost”
- Breaking down silos
- Chicken and the egg – is it necessary (or helpful) to have a Lean program before a Lean Design effort, or vice versa?
- The book The Toyota Way
- Lean Construction Institute
- Book — Lean Operations, Lean Design, Lean Construction: Building a Lean Hospital Facility (about work at Akron Children's Hospital)
- The new chapter on Lean Design from my book Lean Hospitals
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple iTunes. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher.
Thanks for listening!
Past Post by Bernita Beikmann
Videos with Bernita BeikmannWhat do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Damon Baker on Lean, Private Equity, and the Ownership Works Initiative - September 28, 2022
- Reading About Lean at GE in Italy Makes Me Hungry for Pizza, While Savoring Employee Empowerment - September 27, 2022
- Can You SEE Culture in a Workplace? What Do These Artifacts Say to You? - September 27, 2022