MP3 File (run time 36:58)
My guest for episode #167 is Clare Crawford-Mason, the producer of the landmark 1980 NBC documentary that featured W. Edwards Deming, “If Japan Can Do It, Why Can't We?” You can view the documentary here.
I was fortunate to meet Clare and her husband Bob back in 2007 or so when I was teaching a Lean healthcare seminar near their home in Washington, DC. Clare and Bob led the efforts to create the “Deming Library” video series. They also created the PBS special “Good News: How Hospitals Heal Themselves” and the companion book The Nun and the Bureaucrat.
We've talked for years about doing this podcast and I'm glad to finally being able to share this with you. Early in the podcast, Clare talks about meeting Dr. Deming and the production of documentary, which is a fascinating story and glimpse into his personality and work.
Show notes and links:
- Atul Gawande MD article: “Testing, Testing”
- Deming Institute
- Time piece on “Why Healthcare Costs are Killing Us”
- The Nun and the Bureaucrat/Good News…How Hospitals Heal Themselves Book/DVD Set via Amazon
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/167.
If you have feedback on the podcast, or any questions for me or my guests, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call and leave a voicemail by calling the “Lean Line” at (817) 993-0630 or contact me via Skype id “mgraban”. Please give your location and your first name. Any comments (email or voicemail) might be used in follow ups to the podcast.What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- We All Make Mistkaes, Especially Me - September 22, 2022
- Why Sam Morgan Loves Lean (and Kata) and How He Helps Others Be Confident Learners - September 21, 2022
- A Mystery Solved! That Photo I Use to Talk About Standardized Work and Workarounds - September 19, 2022