Going to Japan to Study Lean in November – Any Advice or Questions?
I had previously blogged about this Lean healthcare study trip to Japan, but I'm really excited that it's coming up soon! I depart in just over a week and I'm sure the trip will give me plenty to share and blog about here.
This will be my first trip to Japan, as a tourist or as a professional. So, I'm glad the good folks from Kaizen Institute are organizing and leading the trip.
I'm curious if any of my readers have gone to study Toyota and other organizations in Japan? If so, what advice do you have? I'm going with good shoes and open eyes — and an open mind.
I've previously blogged about the Japan experiences of people in healthcare and software:
- Video: Salem Health CEO & Senior Leaders Comments About Visiting Japan
- Jason Yip's Japan Trip (which was organized by Enna)
And, my friend and fellow blogger, Kevin Meyer, wrote about his experiences:
- Reflecting on the Lessons from Japan – Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Summary – this trip was also with Kaizen Institute
Our group will be healthcare professionals from around the world, all converging on Japan to learn, study, and discuss as much about Lean and TPS as we can. We're visiting Toyota and another manufacturing company, two hospitals, and two other service sector organizations.
We will have a lot of discussions about what we're seeing and hearing — and how it relates back to healthcare organizations in our own countries. The point isn't to copy assembly lines, but to learn from great management practices and improvement methods. What mindsets will we hear about and see in practice at “the gemba?”
What experiences do you have to share, if you've gone before? Or, what questions would you expect me to come back with answers about?
What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Fall in Love with the Problem, not the Solution: In Entrepreneurship and Continuous Improvement - January 29, 2023
- Do You Have a Culture of Learning From Mistakes in Your Healthcare Organization? - January 26, 2023
- What Do We Mean by Vulnerable Acts in the Context of Psychological Safety? - January 25, 2023