MIT’s Dr. Jonathan Byrnes on the Pandemic’s Supply Chain Shocks
Scroll down for video, how to subscribe, video, transcript, and more
My guest for Episode #412 of the Lean Blog Interviews podcast is Dr. Jonathan Byrnes, the co-author of the new book Choose Your Customer: How to Compete Against the Digital Giants and Thrive. He is is a Senior Lecturer at MIT, where he has taught about supply chain management and other topics at the graduate level and in executive programs for over 30 years.
He is Chairman and Founder of Profit Isle, an innovative profit analytics and profit acceleration SaaS software company — AND is President of Jonathan Byrnes & Co., a focused consulting company that he founded in 1976. Dr. Byrnes earned a DBA from Harvard University in 1980, and an MBA from Columbia University in 1974.
Topics, questions, and links related to today's episode include:
- Article: “How to Manage your Supply Chain Shock Waves“
- May 2020 — what did you predict in that article and how did it play out?
- The bullwhip effect
- The MIT “Beer Game” or “Root Beer Game“
- What can you do when there is variance in supply and variance in demand?
- Lean as a system, including level loading and local suppliers, not just low inventory
- Lean as “cycle time compression” that makes lower inventory possible
- Today's glut of hand sanitizer
- NY Times: Widespread Commodity Shortages Raise Inflation Fears
- WSJ: Auto Makers Retreat From 50 Years of ‘Just in Time' Manufacturing
- Mark's blog post about that
You can also hear him in a “bonus” episode of the “My Favorite Mistake” podcast:
The podcast is sponsored by Stiles Associates, now in their 30th year of business. They are the go-to Lean recruiting firm serving the manufacturing, private equity, and healthcare industries. Learn more.
This podcast is part of the #LeanCommunicators network.
You can listen to the audio or watch the video, below. I hope you enjoy it like I did.
Video of the Episode:
Automated Transcript (Not Guaranteed to be Defect Free)
Thanks for listening or watching!
This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network… check it out!
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Join Our Upcoming Webinar on Building a Culture of Continuous Improvement through Organizational Habits - March 22, 2023
- From Fear to Improvement: Results of Our Poll on Companies' Responses to Mistakes - March 16, 2023
- Discovering the Benefits of Data-Driven DEI: An Interview with Dr. Randal Pinkett on his New Book - March 14, 2023
[…] The Wall Street Journey’s misinformed piece on JIT, Jeff Liker on JIT, Dr. Jonathan Byrnes on supply chain shockwaves, and Dr. Byrnes on Mark’s LeanBlog podcast […]