Podcast #321 – Mark Hamel on “Lean Math,” Kaizen, People, and More
My guest for episode #321 of the podcast is Mark Hamel, He is a partner and COO with The Murli Group. Mark is a two-time recipient of the Shingo Research and Professional Publication Award for his books The Kaizen Event Fieldbook and his most recent book Lean Math, the reason we got together for this episode (although we talked about other things too).
You can find him on LinkedIn and as @MarkRHamel on Twitter. Check out the Lean Math website, too. I was happy to endorse his book, and you can read that here.
I hope you enjoy the discussion, which is about people as much as it is about math.
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/321.
For earlier episodes of my podcast, visit the main Podcast page, which includes information on how to subscribe via RSS, through Android apps, or via Apple Podcasts. You can also subscribe and listen via Stitcher or Spotify.
New! Subscribe and listen with Spotify:
Topics and notes for this episode:
- Your background… how were you introduced to Lean?
- 19 years in industry
- Art Byrne came and spoke to senior leaders
- Lean consulting work for14 years
- 19 years in industry
- Implementation vs transformation?
- Kaizen book by Imai
- Rother and Shook, Learning to See
- Developing people is key
- Your books…. 2 time Shingo Research Award recipient
- Kaizen Event Fieldbook
- Kaizen and Kaizen Events (Kaikaiku)
- Start small kaizen a few years in after events? George K
- Doing both… kaizen and events
- Lean Math
- Deciding if events are successful – probably there is some math involved
- I've heard some say, incorrectly, that Lean is only qualitative (they imply Six Sigma is the only quantitative approach)… your thoughts on that?
- What's the gap? Target condition?
- Are we just guessing?
- “People need to learn how to think”
Video of Mark:
Thanks for listening!
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Recorded Webinar on Building a Culture of Continuous Improvement through Organizational Habits - March 22, 2023
- From Fear to Improvement: Results of Our Poll on Companies' Responses to Mistakes - March 16, 2023
- Discovering the Benefits of Data-Driven DEI: An Interview with Dr. Randal Pinkett on his New Book - March 14, 2023