Norman loves to ask why people never say, “Thank God It's Monday!!!!”?
At the end of my first workday of 2009, I checked out the status updates of my friends on Facebook.
The status updates included (names replaced by “___”).
- ___ is a little grumpy, but will bounce back!
- ___ is struggling to focus and ready for another vacation.
- ___ is looking for a new gig.
- ___ is back at work. yay?
- ___ is back to work… but guess I can't complain since many friends don't have jobs anymore.
- ___ is wow, Monday after a holiday. Ouch…
- ___ is back to reality.
- ___ is up. Can't believe it's Monday.
This status got 9 replies that agreed with her (or sympathized):
- ___ wonders if anyone else is struggling today…
There weren't many comments on the other side of the work/happiness equation, just one, actually.
- ___ had a great first day back to work.
So either my friends are a bunch of whiners and pessimists, or this is pretty representative of people in different industries. Or, it's just “not cool” to say, “I love my job!!!”
What do you think? What does this say about the current state of management and organizations? Were you lucky enough to be thrilled to get back to work today? Should we aim for that, or do you fall into the “that's why they call it work” camp?
What do you think? Please scroll down (or click) to post a comment. Or please share the post with your thoughts on LinkedIn. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.