The Culture of Winning — Baseball and Lean
This is a fantastic interview with the General Manager of the Atlanta Braves, John Schuerholz (requires WSJ subscription). Even if you're not a baseball fan, it's noteworthy that the Braves have won their division for FOURTEEN consecutive years. That's unheard of, especially in an era when players change teams all the time. The Braves have succeeded, in part, because of having a system and creating a “culture of success.”
Isn't that needed in a factory too? A factory with negative, self-defeating, “we can't do it” attitudes will lose the manufacturing equivalent of 120 games.
Schuerholz lists these five tips for transforming a culture, they certainly seem to apply along with any lean transformation:
1) Gather everyone, communicate the plan, and preach it daily.
2) Constantly remind them it works
3) Don't be afraid to get rid of the people who don't buy in.
4) Make the lowest-level employees feel as important to success as the top-level executives.
5) Show trust in everyone to do their jobs well.
Great stuff!!! Now go make it happen in your organization.
What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Jody Crane, MD: Lean in Emergency Medicine and Hospitals; 3 Big Issues Causing Tough Times in Healthcare - February 1, 2023
- Alternative History: GM Uses Lean to Remain #1 in the Auto Industry - January 31, 2023
- Fall in Love with the Problem, not the Solution: In Entrepreneurship and Continuous Improvement - January 29, 2023