Video Podcast Beta V 1.0 – Jamie Flinchbaugh on Coaching

OK, so here is episode #1 of the “beta” (if you will) LeanBlog Video Podcast. Our guest is our good friend Jamie Flinchbaugh. I guess I’m jumping on the video bandwagon — have you seen the new sample videos from Gemba Academy?

This is an experiment in a number of ways. Let me know what you think. Jamie and I realize that the two of us as “talking heads” isn’t necessarily the best use of video, but wanted to see how this was compared to audio only. I’m going to extract the audio and release it in the regular audio Podcast series as episode #64 for those who cannot or do not want to see video (those of you who listen on your commute). Here is a audio link for now until I get the #64 blog page and podcast feed out later.

We’re going to try to find some other uses for the video format in the future, as well, something that really takes advantage of the media.

For those who are interested, we recorded this through a Skype video chat, which I recorded on my Mac, doing a bit of editing in iMovie — basic, simple, cheap. The focus obviously is on the content, not focusing too much on slick video production. I will try setting this up on YouTube (except this is longer than 10 minutes) and possibly on a separate iTunes video podcast feed, if we repeat this experiment.

If you have feedback on the podcast, or any questions for me or my guests, you can email me at leanpodcast@gmail.com or you can call and leave a voicemail by calling the “Lean Line” at (817) 776-LEAN (817-776-5326) or contact me via Skype id “mgraban”. Please give your location and your first name. Any comments (email or voicemail) might be used in follow ups to the podcast.

For audio podcast episodes, please visit  www.leanpodcast.org. For video podcasts, visit  www.leanvideopodcast.org or visit myYouTube Channel. You can also subscribe to either podcast series through Apple iTunes –  Audio or  Video.

12 Comments on "Video Podcast Beta V 1.0 – Jamie Flinchbaugh on Coaching"

1. Panu Kinnari says:

I would appreciate download link, so that I could watch this while traveling.

And some version control nitpicking, how can beta be 1.0? :)

Yes, good point on downloading…

Here is a link:

VIDEO #1

It’s a quicktime movie (.MOV) format. Hopefully it plays in Windows. Let me know what formats you would want/use.

Should “beta” be version 0.5?? I just trying to be funny with the name I guess.

3. Brian Buck says:

This was a great discussion. The dististinction between coaching towards a solution versus towards the method was something I personally needed to have made clear.

My organization is currently in the mode of just the coaching towards the solution and I have been digging in my heels to only coach the method. The analogy about the fire really hit home for me to recognize it is OK to coach towards the solution sometimes.

I enjoyed the first stab of the video! The most important thing you have going for it is great content! Keep it up!

4. Dr. Mike Lopez says:

Nice vidcast. I hope to see more. I liked the split screen effect and the transitions.

Got this thoughtful comment from a listener/reader:

I’m a huge fan of your blog and your podcasts, keep up the great work. For what it’s worth, I wanted to give you some feedback on this new video podcast. I haven’t watched it yet, but I’ll tell you that I personally am not a fan of it. I’ve learned (the hard way) that it’s not always a good idea to introduce cool, new technology simply because it is cool and new. It needs to deliver more value to your customers. Personally, I listen to all of your podcasts on my iPod on my daily commute. I’m sure a lot of people listen to your podcast like me – when they’re driving, exercising, etc. When I’m driving, it’s definitely not a good idea for me to be watching a video. Additionally, my old iPod Nano that doesn’t support video. I hate to think that I am going to miss out on any of the great information in your podcasts simply because I lack the hardware and the time to watch a video. Furthermore, if the video is simply an image of two people talking, I’m not really sure how much value that adds to your “customers.” If the video showed clips of things like a kanban or poke yoke in action, then I would say it DEFINITELY adds value.

Like any good lean scientist, I noticed that you have structured this as an experiment. For what it’s worth, this is one man’s opinion about the change.

So to the previous message. You’re right, it was an experiment. It cost me zero dollars to do. We’ll see if I can do more that really takes advantage of the media. I’m in total agreement about not using technology for the sake of technology.

As for those who want to listen audio-only in the car or the gym, I’m going to release this as audio podcast #64 later this week. Stay tuned here and your RSS feed.

Any more feedback, please let me know.

7. Peter P Patterson MD says:

Congrats to you and Jamie for a worthwhile experiment … yes,version0.5 … looking forward to #50 down the road … OBTW, Jamie’s lip-synch is off; yours is right on.
    Re: using new technology, you’d have to be braindead today not to see video/YouTube is the way of the future … those not experimenting with it might wish to feel their wrist for a pulse … might not be there … ha ha
    /Dr. Pete

8. Mike T. says:

Mark – I love the video. Why? Our wonderful work firewall won’t play your podcasts due to the format used. However, the video will play straight from your website.

I do have an ipod, but: I’ve never made that transition, I have Sirius radio already in the car (where, I hate to admit, I tend to listen to HLN, FoxNews, etc), and I simply don’t have time at home to get the ipod set up and get all your podcasts downloaded.

If it isn’t too much trouble for you, I’d think it would be great for the greatest portion of your listeners if you could offer both the audio podcast and the video.

So, do you listen to your customers and strive to satisfy as many of them as possible or be concerned with cutting expenses in your operation and only offer one method?? :)

Mike T. — in this case, the only real additional marginal expense is my time to edit and do the video production…

10. Ron Pereira says:

Great job Mark and Jamie! I look forward to more video casts. And thanks for the nice plugs for Gemba Academy. Really appreciate it.

11. Mark Graban

Panu – I just published a new podcast, which you can download via Apple iTunes or this RSS feed:

12. Rick says:

Great Pod Cast Mark, thank you. Coaching is the main ingredient with Lean. Look forward to more great information.
    Thanks,