A Time Saving Traveler
I don't know what's worse, that I'm on a road a lot or that I actually flip through the American Airlines magazine sometimes. I actually found an item there, sent in by a fellow DFW traveler (Jay Hohfeler of Coppell, Texas) that saved me about 20 minutes on Friday. This really only helps if you parked at a different terminal than the one at which you arrived.
Basically, the traveler's idea was to change his process flow from:
- Deplane at A terminal
- Go to baggage claim and wait for bag (non-value added, waste of waiting)
- Go out to curb and wait for inter-terminal bus (waste of waiting, particularly for the bus.)
- Take bus to C terminal
- Get in car and leave
The better process flow, which I tried:
- Deplane at A terminal
- Take airport train to C terminal (this is much faster and there's less waste of waiting)
- Leave terminal, get car
- Drive to A terminal and park in 1-hour passenger pickup parking
- Go inside and get suitcase
- Go back to car and leave
The guy who wrote into American Airlines must be a Lean Thinker! Rather than standing there waiting for your suitcase, he replaced that waiting time with more productive activity. Sure enough, when I got back to Terminal A, my suitcase was just dropping onto the carousel.
That's a great lesson in Lean — sometimes you get much more efficient by changing the process and doing things in a different sequence rather than trying to do the old process faster, by working harder.
Maybe it's hard to appreciate the situation without walking through it personally, but there's a nice lean lesson there.
My plan is faster and more comfortable, and it makes your bag easy to pick out when you go to claim it because the crowds and amount of bags have thinned. I'll admit, at the risk of looking like I have no life, that I've tested and timed both options.
He timed it. I love it. Maybe the only risk is a slightly increased chance of having you bag stolen?
What do you think? Scroll down to comment or share your thoughts and the post on social media. Don't want to miss a post or podcast? Subscribe to get notified about posts via email daily or weekly.
- Damon Baker on Lean, Private Equity, and the Ownership Works Initiative - September 28, 2022
- Reading About Lean at GE in Italy Makes Me Hungry for Pizza, While Savoring Employee Empowerment - September 27, 2022
- Can You SEE Culture in a Workplace? What Do These Artifacts Say to You? - September 27, 2022