Charity eBay Auction & Giveaway for Haiti Relief – Signed Lean Books & More
Auction Update – the total raised is $951.37. Thanks to all the donors and the bidders!
It has been almost a year since the publication of Russell Maroni's e-book After the Haiti Earthquake: A Healthcare Missionary's Personal Journal, a fundraiser for ongoing earthquake relief efforts in Haiti. We have collected $395 in donations from readers of the free e-book along with $43 from Kindle version sales… but we hope this new project can raise even more.
A number of my friends in the Lean community have donated books or other items to be auctioned through the eBay CharityWorks program. 100% of the auction proceeds will be given directly to Friends of the Orphans, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that supports orphanages in Haiti and other countries. This charity was selected personally by Russell. This is Round 1 of the auction with a likely Round 2 to follow with more great Lean stuff.
You can refer people to this page by pointing them to www.LeanBlog.org/HaitiAuction. You can also enter a free contest for a few prizes by sharing this contest via social media or your blog – see details below the auction links.
What You Can Bid on via eBay (Round 1):
Note: Many of the book titles link to Amazon (via an affiliate link that earns 6% for Friends of the Orphans). To bid on an item, via eBay, click on the linked word “bid” in front of each item. The auctions run 7 days and all end at about 9 PM or 10 PM Eastern on Sunday October 30.
You should be able to see all of the items I am selling via this link or go to www.leanblog.org/auctions. You can see the retail value of each item or set of auctions on the eBay page. Shipping for these items is limited to the U.S. and Canada, due to shipping costs, unfortunately.
- Bid – Lot of 5 signed copies of the 1st edition of Lean Hospitals
- Bid – 1 signed 2nd edition of Lean Hospitals, directly from the first box received from the publisher
- Bid – 1 MP3 player (4 GB) pre-loaded with all episodes of the LeanBlog Podcast
- Bid – A complete set of Norman's books – Fundamental Principles of Lean Manufacturing, How to do Kaizen, Rebirth of American Industry, JIT Is Flow, Kaikaku : The Power and Magic of Lean, The Idea Generator – Quick and Easy Kaizen, Kaizen and the Art of Creative Thinking, and All You Gotta Do Is Ask.
- Bid – A lot of 5 signed copies of her book The Pittsburgh Way to Efficient Healthcare: Improving Patient Care Using Toyota Based Methods
- Bid – 1 signed copy of his book The Hitchhiker's Guide to Lean: Lessons from the Road
- Bid – 1 signed copy of her book The Kaizen Event Planner: Achieving Rapid Improvement in Office, Service, and Technical Environments
- Bid – 1 copy of Taiichi Ohno's Workplace Management
Bid – 1 copy of Total Flow Management: Achieving Excellence with Kaizen and Lean Supply Chains
- Bid – 1 copy of his book (with Bill Waddell) Simple Excellence: Organizing and Aligning the Management Team in a Lean Transformation
- Bid – Bundle of these outstanding handbooks:
- Bid – Lot of 3 copies of Cindy Jimmerson's book Value Stream Mapping for Healthcare Made Easy
Bid – A bundle of all of these healthcare improvement books
- The Physician Employment Contract Handbook by Maria K. Todd
- Pursuing Excellence in Healthcare: Preserving America's Academic Medical Centers by Arthur Feldman, MD
- Applying Lean in Healthcare: A Collection of International Case Studies by Joe Aherne and John Whelton
- Paradox and Imperatives in Healthcare: How Efficiency, Effectiveness, and E-Transformation Can Conquer Waste and Optimize Quality by Jeffrey Bauer and Mark Hagland
- Workplace Clinics and Employer Managed Healthcare: A Catalyst for Cost Savings and Improved Productivity by Michael LaPenn
- The Definitive Guide to Emergency Department Operational Improvement: Employing Lean Principles with Current ED Best Practices to Create the “No Wait” Department by Jody Crane and Chuck Noon
- Bid – 1 copy of the book Lean Kaizen: A Simplified Approach to Process Improvement
Paul Akers and FastCap:
- Bid – 1 signed copy of his new book 2 Second Lean: How to Grow People and Build a Fun Lean Culture
- Bid – Healthcare bundle of
Bid – Jim Womack signed book bundle of
- Lean Thinking: Banish Waste and Create Wealth in Your Corporation, signed by Jim Womack
- Lean Solutions: How Companies and Customers Can Create Value and Wealth Together, signed by Jim Womack
- Gemba Walks, signed by Jim Womack
- Seeing the Whole Value Stream, by Womack and Jones, signed by Jim Womack
Bid – John Shook signed book bundle of
- Managing to Learn: Using the A3 Management Process, signed by John Shook
- Kaizen Express: Fundamentals for Your Lean Journey, signed by John Shook
Alternative Ways to Help
Share this Page via Social Media or Blogs
If you cannot afford to bid on items and would still like a chance to win a prize, you can share this contest via social media. Three (3) social media sharers will be selected, at random, to receive a prize of our choosing. Thanks for spreading the word about our fundraiser. If you have donated and also share via social media, you will be entered into this pool of possible winners, as well.
- To enter the giveaway, tweet the following exact message before 8 PM EDT on Sunday, October 30:
- Bid on great #Lean books & items via @LeanBlog to support @FriendsUS charity & @Lean4Haiti Haiti relief – http://leanblog.org/HaitiAuction
- We will search Twitter.com for tweets and retweets and randomly pick the winners from those who tweeted.
- Make sure to follow @LeanBlog on Twitter so we can get in touch with you once the giveaway is over.
- Alternatively, if you want to share this via Google+, be sure to tag Mark Graban in the post.
- Also, if you write a post on your blog about these auctions, I will enter your name in the drawing. Leave a comment on this post pointing to yours.
- 1 signed copy of the 1st edition of Lean Hospitals
- 1 copy of The Definitive Guide to Emergency Department Operational Improvement: Employing Lean Principles with Current ED Best Practices to Create the “No Wait” Department
- 1 PDF-eBook of The Entrepreneur ´s Guide to Customer Development
- 1 signed copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to Lean: Lessons from the Road
- 1 signed copy of The Remedy
- 1 copy of Pursuing Excellence in Healthcare: Preserving America's Academic Medical Center
- 1 copy of 2 Second Lean: How to Grow People and Build a Fun Lean Culture
- 1 copy of On the Mend: Revolutionizing Healthcare to Save Lives and Transform the Industry
- 1 copy of Seeing the Whole Value Stream
- 1 copy of Lean Enterprise Memory Jogger
- 1 copy of Project Management Memory Jogger
Use the Amazon Affiliate Links
Also, if you use any of the Amazon affiliate links on this page, we receive a 6% commission that will be given to Friends of the Orphans.
Donate Directly to Friends of the Orphans
Auction / Giveaway Fine Print
- Prizes will be mailed to you, typically directly from the person or organization who donated the item(s).
- Any personal information (name, email, address) collected during this contest will be shared only with the author or organization who will be shipping your prize directly to you.
- All items must be paid for via PayPal, which you can link to a credit card or a checking account.
- Shipping is limited to the U.S. and Canada.
After the auctions are over, we will report the total amount raised from your auction bids and any donations that are made directly to Friends of the Orphans. Please donate and bid generously, so that the amount raised is (hopefully) greater than the value of the prizes! :-)
Thanks to all who are participating!!!!
About Friends of the Orphans
For more than 40 years, Friends of the Orphans has worked to end the vicious cycle of poverty by giving safe and loving homes and brighter futures to children in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do this through fundraising and volunteer efforts that support Nuestros PequeÃ±os Hermanos (NPH, Spanish for “Our Little Brothers and Sisters”). Together, we transform the lives of orphaned, abandoned and disadvantaged children by creating families for life through values of unconditional love, shared responsibility and education. This enables children to grow into caring and productive members of their communities. By making a difference in the lives of the children, our supporters' lives may be enhanced as well.
Friends of the Orphans is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit corporation, Federal Tax ID#65-1229309, that meets all 20 BBB Charity Standards. Donations are tax deductible to the extent provided by law. All donated funds are diligently appropriated and an audited financial statement is available upon request.
Friends of the Orphans is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. In addition to our national office located in Illinois, we have six regional offices, each of which has its own volunteer Board of Directors. The members of our boards have diverse professional backgrounds and expertise, but each actively works to raise funds for and awareness of Friends of the Orphans and our mission.