Joining me for episode #222 of the podcast is Erin S. DuPree, M.D., FACOG, the Chief Medical Officer and Vice President for the Joint Commission Center for Transforming Healthcare. Dr. DuPree is an OB/GYN by training, was previously the Chief Medical Officer and Senior Vice President for Medical Affairs at The Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. She is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt and is also a TeamSTEPPS (Team Strategies and Tools to Enhance Performance and Patient Safety) master trainer.
Streaming Player (run time 39:55):
One thing we have in common is both growing up around Detroit, being exposed to the auto industry and the ideas of W. Edwards Deming early in life.
In this podcast, topics include:
- Her role in the Center for Transforming Healthcare (the Joint Commission does more than accreditation)
- How Dr. DuPress first got involved in healthcare quality improvement and, in particular, Lean and Six Sigma (two complementary practices, as we agree)
- Of the different estimates about the number of patients harmed or killed each year due to preventable medical errors, which numbers does she cite and why?
- There are pockets of improvement, but what are some of the biggest barriers, that you see, that prevent adoption of Lean and Six Sigma and, more importantly, the improvement of quality and patient safety?
- How does the idea of “High Reliability Organizations” fit with other improvement methodologies?
You can read her full bio here.
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/222.
Videos with Dr. DuPree:
Prevention Above All
Feedback & Comments:
If you have feedback on the podcast, or any questions for me or my guests, you can email me at email@example.com or you can call and leave a voicemail by calling the “Lean Line” at (817) 776-LEAN (817-776-5326) or contact me via Skype id “mgraban”. Please give your location and your first name. Any comments (email or voicemail) might be used in follow ups to the podcast.
Thanks for reading! I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please scroll down to post a comment. Click here to receive posts via email.
Now Available – The updated, expanded, and revised 3rd Edition of Mark Graban’s Shingo Research Award-Winning Book Lean Hospitals: Improving Quality, Patient Safety, and Employee Engagement. You can buy the book today, including signed copies from the author.