Technical Update on Lean Blog Emails & Problems with MailChimp RSS Feeds & Outlook – Root Cause Found, Problem Solved?
Thankfully, it has been a while since I’ve had to post something about technical difficulties here on the blog.
Thanks to my reader survey, two people pointed out that they were having trouble opening the daily or weekly automated emails that go out with my blog posts in them. They have trouble when using Outlook as the email client and the emails were causing the program to freeze and lock up, forcing a restart. Annoying.
I checked with MailChimp, who I use to generate the emails, and they told me about a known issue with RSS feeds that are put through FeedBurner (I know, this is all a bit wonky to discuss). These feeds, combined with MailChimp, cause Outlook problems. But, when I switched it to use the blog’s raw RSS feed instead of what was output by FeedBurner, everything is supposed to be better now.
This countermeasure was better than me having to suggest that readers subscribe using a Gmail account or something like that.
So, if you’re reading this in Outlook and there have been problems… the problems, slow loading, or freezes are hopefully not coming back, if we’ve indeed found the root cause of the the problem. If you unsubscribed because of the problems, you can re-subscribe using the links in the right sidebar of the blog.
One reader apologized for not pointing out the problem sooner. It goes to show that we can all be tolerant of waste, problems, and annoyances… we’re not always able to take the time to speak up, or we assume it’s a temporary problem that will go away.
Once the new emails go out (noon Eastern on Wednesday for the daily feed or next Monday for the weekly batch email), we can confirm that the countermeasure works. I use Mac Mail, so I’ll rely on readers to “pull the andon cord,” as we say. If you see a problem with my site, please do point it out and speak up.