Lean Leaders are Inclusive Leaders, Humble Leaders
This article caught my eye over at Becker’s Hospital Review: “The Hospital CEO Dilemma: Abandon Ship or Change Leadership Style,” written by Shirley Engelmeier, Founder and CEO of InclusionINC.
She has a great list of leadership characteristics for modern hospital CEOs (which seem relevant in any industry).
Her list includes advice that leaders:
- Put their ego in check
- Are open to a wide range of inputs
- Are intellectually curious
- Are transparent, accessible and adaptable
- Have high emotional intelligence
- Display humility
- Are culturally agile
- Collaborate with their teams
- Seek out diversity of thought
This reminds me of a list that Dr. John Toussaint shares about the characteristics of a “Lean Leader:”
As he talks about here:
This style of leadership isn’t complicated… but it’s still somewhat rare. Do you agree? What can we do about that? Do you have leaders who exhibit those characteristics? Are you one of them?