MP3 File (run time 38:47)
Joining me for episode #195 is my friend Steve Montague from LifeWings. Steve and I met initially through our shared interest in Lean and, like Ron Pereira, we discovered we both lived in Keller, Texas (I’ve since moved to San Antonio).
Steve is a retired Navy pilot and currently flies for a major commercial airline. He’s also been involved, through LifeWings, in the movement to bring aviation safety practices (and culture) to healthcare via “Crew Resource Management” or “TeamSTEPPS.” He’s also been on the forefront of combining Lean and TeamSTEPPS, something we both agree is a great idea.
In honor of National Patient Safety Awareness Week, we talk about topics including:
- Steve’s background with CRM in aviation and healthcare
- Why CRM isn’t just about checklists, but also learning how to “communicate more assertively” in the cockpit or operating room…
- How Lean and CRM / TeamSTEPPS fit together conceptually
- How standardization and iterative improvement fit together
There’s so much we could talk about, so we barely scratched the surface on this topic. If you have questions, we can do another podcast. Please post them as comments on this post.
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/195.
- Podcast #112: (2/10/11) Naida Grunden, Lean and Checklists
- Description and video portrayal of the Tenerife air disaster that killed 583
- Steve on Twitter – @LeanSTEPPS
You can also listen via Stitcher.
Podcasts Sponsored by KaiNexus
You might be interested in an eBook with transcripts from some of my favorite podcasts:
If you have feedback on the podcast, or any questions for me or my guests, you can email me at [email protected] or you can call and leave a voicemail by calling the “Lean Line” at (817) 776-LEAN (817-776-5326) or contact me via Skype id “mgraban”. Please give your location and your first name. Any comments (email or voicemail) might be used in follow ups to the podcast.
About LeanBlog.org: Mark Graban is a consultant, author, and speaker in the “lean healthcare” methodology. Mark is author of the Shingo Award-winning books Lean Hospitals and Healthcare Kaizen, as well as The Executive Guide to Healthcare Kaizen. Mark is also the VP of Customer Success for the technology company KaiNexus.