A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen – How to Error Proof?

Yesterday, Jim Benson and I were facilitating a “Lean for Knowledge Work” class at Geekdom in San Antonio and had a great time with attendees from healthcare and high tech companies.

We facilitated some “Lean Coffee” discussion sessions in a conference room. While the format is facilitated with sticky notes and pens, I noticed the whiteboard in the room had an accident just waiting to happen.

marker 540x405 A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen   How to Error Proof? lean

The blue marker is different than the other three Expo markers. The blue one clearly says “FLIPCHART MARKER.”

There is no flip chart in the room.

This is an accident waiting to happen.

It’s a matter of time before somebody grabs the blue marker and writes on the whiteboard.

When this happens, many organizations, unfortunately, would blame the individual. “You should have been more careful. You should have double checked. Don’t you know to use only erasable markers on a whiteboard?”

Many organizations might react to a marker mishap by posting a sign that says “Whiteboard markers only,” but a permanent marker might still appear, since signs are the poorest form of “error proofing.”

A better, more proactive organization would find ways of preventing such a mistake.

In a previous job, I tried to mistake proof this sort of situation by buying flip chart markers that weren’t round — they were somewhat flat and didn’t roll if you set them on a table. I can’t find these markers on Amazon.com or Staples.com, so they are either not made anymore or I’m searching badly.

The “flat” markers were visually and tactilely different when you picked them up. Once you knew the system (round = whiteboard and flat = permanent), it was more difficult to make a mistake (but not impossible). It was better mistake proofing than a sign, but not perfect.

I got a great suggestion via Twitter yesterday:

at our org we have standard practice of wrapping permanent markers with rubber bands to differentiate

It seems like that would work, as well. Again, not perfect mistake proofing, but better than nothing.

Does your organization have a trick like this? Do you have any stories about shifting from a culture of blaming “be careful” statements to one that’s proactive and practices mistake proofing?

mark graban lean blog A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen   How to Error Proof? leanAbout LeanBlog.org: Mark Graban is a consultant, author, and speaker in the “lean healthcare” methodology. Mark is author of the Shingo Award-winning books Lean Hospitals and Healthcare Kaizen, as well as the new Executive Guide to Healthcare Kaizen. Mark is also the VP of Customer Success for the technology company KaiNexus.

book mark graban A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen   How to Error Proof? lean mark graban consulting A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen   How to Error Proof? lean

pixel A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen   How to Error Proof? lean
pinit fg en rect gray 28 A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen   How to Error Proof? lean
Tags: ,

21 Comments on "A Whiteboard Accident Waiting to Happen – How to Error Proof?"

1. Mark Graban

The Twitter discussion includes a suggestion to use glass panels instead of whiteboards, as glass are more robust and more easily cleaned if a permanent marker is used by mistake.
    Mark Graban recently posted..The Leadership Pond Usually Isn’t Stocked with Humble FishMy Profile

2. Chad Walters

I kind of had the same thought about using colored tape or rubber bands on dry erase markers, but the flat flipchart marker is a good thought too.

To error proof, I think the improvement would have to come from the marker factory or company R&D. What if there was a marker tip design that would draw out ink using capillary action on the paper/flipchart but the lack of capillary action would prevent ink from being drawn on the dry erase board?

Also, I learned that permanent marker can be removed from dry erase boards by writing over the permanent ink with dry erase marker ink. The times I have tried it I have been successful but I also don’t make a habit of running trials on expensive boards for risk of rendering them useless in the event it doesn’t work. :D
    Chad Walters recently posted..Gregg Popovich on Leadership and EmpowermentMy Profile

3. Mark Graban

Comment from Facebook:

“I only buy dry erase markers and use them on flip charts.”

That reminds me of the error proofing involving gas and diesel fuel nozzles. It’s far less damaging to put regular gas into a diesel engine than vice versa, so the diesel nozzle is the larger of the two.

Using a whiteboard marker on a flip chart is not damaging to the paper, of course. But, I’ve found that dry erase markers don’t write as smoothly on paper.

The cost difference seems negligible. Even if dry erase markers were more expensive, it might be cheaper to use them all of the time instead of repairing or replacing a white board that’s damaged by permanent markers.

• Chad Walters

I actually like this idea better than mine. The problem you’re looking to solve is “permanent marker on dry erase board.” Remove use of permanent marker, therefore no impact on dry erase boards.

I agree that dry erase marker on paper isn’t as sharp or smooth, but if it’s sharp enough for everyone to read and see then I think it meets the participants’ expectations, yes?

4. Tami Moore says:

We have flip charts in rooms without white boards and no flip charts in rooms with white boards to reduce the margin of error. Also, rather than worry about damaging expensive white boards we use dry erase paint and frame the area to mistake proof writing on the wrong walls. Tul makes a nice dry erase marker that is not round, has a rubberized barrel and are also magnetic.

5. John Veatch says:

We only purchase Dry Erase markers, they work on both.

6. Levent Baykut says:

First of, excellent blog post Mark! I follow every single blog post of yours with great attention. This initially made me ask “Why do they have flip chart marker with the dry erase markers at the same place?” “Is having flip charts and dry erase boards at the same location essential to the process?” “Can either one of them completely eliminated to simplify the process?” “What are the alternatives to them? Smart boards? iPads and projectors?; this way meeting notes will be accessible to everybody without losing any information.” Using root cause analysis with mistake proofing may not only eliminate future mistakes, but also yield to potential cost savings and process improvements.

7. For the first time in 30 yrs of being in the business world, I used a flip chart marker on a white board in error last week–at a client! Fortunately the white board cleaner, took care of it because I realized it right away. I looked carefully at the marker, too, before using it. The largest words were “water-based” and the smallest words were “flip chart.” I’ve never heard of the brand.

While I like all of the error-proofing suggestions, my hope is that, in the future, someone will create a marker that works well on both surfaces. I’ve tried only using white board markers for both – true error-proofing – but they still don’t work as well on flip charts as flip chart markers do.

Fun topic!
    Karen Martin recently posted..Developing Lean “Chops”My Profile

• Mark Graban

Yeah, I think the fact that whiteboard markers are designed to dry quickly means they just don’t write smoothly on the relatively high-friction surface of paper. You *can* use one marker for both, but they are slightly different technologies for two different media (porous paper vs. non-porous glass or whiteboard).

8. Tami Moore says:

So my interest was peaked, and after a little Google searching I found the following:

“Onboard dry erase board marker has gone green. Made up of a minimum of 37% recycled materials, the Onboard is truly Eco-Friendly:Refillable, Recyclable and Xylene / Toluene free. Whether at school, office, workplace or home, you may write, erase and rewrite effortlessly with OnBoard dry erase markers. Five brilliant ink colours enhance effectiveness of your presentations on whiteboards, notice boards, flip charts or elsewhere. Now you can be sure of communicating your expressions, as ever-lasting impres – See more at: http://www.globial.com/Dollar-Industries-Pvt-Ltd/Products/On-board-Dry-Erase-Marker/?p=102490#sthash.BISDvlca.dpuf”

9. Eric C. Lind says:

I think the appropriate response is to quit buying the flipchart markers altogether. Whiteboard markers work just fine on flipcharts.

Reduces your inventory costs and prevents errors.

10. Have you used Smart Sheets? Dry erase static cling to wall. They’re the bomb! Just throw them on the wall and dry erase away. When you’re done throw them away. Great for facilitating dynamic content like VSMs. You can also move them to another wall or take them to another room.

11. Richard Tucker says:

I will admit to having written on some really nice walls. LöL. Collateral damage in the quest for improvement.
    Also, have you noticed that the Low Odor markers don’t erase as well?

12. Paul Perrin says:

Identifying the different markers in a tactile way is a good idea, however, surely it is the whiteboard markers that should be tagged (with elastic bands etc) — so the sytem is ‘fail safe’ and a new marker introduced the the environment is assumed to be dangerous unless it has been specifically tagged.

13. Matthew Piljek says:

How about double sided markers. One side for each and with a different cap to make each side easily differentiated. The white board cap wont fit on the other end (by design) to stop accidental cap switching. Make the person using it check each time, even if its by feel (triangle Vs round ends) and they may get that “this isnt quite right” feeling before writting on a whiteboard after pulling off say a triangle cap.