Here in New Orleans, there was a problem with the city water today and there’s a 24-hour “boil water” order in effect through tomorrow morning. We could play a good game of the 5 Whys:
- Why can’t we drink the water? It’s potentially unsafe
- Why? The water pressure dropped earlier this morning
- Why? Because there was a power outage
- Why? Because there was a small fire
- Why? We don’t know (publicly… yet?)
So, while I’m sure the city is being overly careful, I don’t want to risk being sick for my talk.
I might forget to not drink the water or forget to not brush my teeth with it. So, I’ve placed a bottle of water in my hotel sink as a reminder to not use the tap. It’s probably more effective than telling myself to not forget and it’s probably more effective than posting a warning sign.
In the spirit of Kaizen (or continuous improvement), I’m happy to publish and share my idea with others!
Thanks for reading! I’d love to hear your thoughts. Please scroll down to post a comment. Click here to be notified about posts via email. Learn more about Mark Graban’s speaking, writing, and consulting.