Podcast #157 – Nick Sarillo, “A Slice of the Pie,” on Culture & Leadership
MP3 File (run time 29:37)
Joining me for episode #157 is Nick Sarillo, founder of Nick’s Pizza & Pub and author of the new book (out September 13) called A Slice of the Pie: How to Build a Big Little Business. I had a chance to meet Nick and visit one of his restaurants in 2010 after I blogged about an Inc. magazine article about their culture and their approach to operations.
It was great talking to Nick about his new book and what I call the “Like Lean” mindsets and approaches that remind me of the challenges and opportunities that organizations face with Lean Manufacturing or Lean Healthcare. I hope you’ll take a listen.
For a link to this episode, refer people to www.leanblog.org/157/.
Some questions, key topics and thoughts:
- Was it just intuitive to you that getting everybody oriented around that purpose was important? How do you get others to share the sense of purpose?
- Talk about what you see the “main job” of a manager to be…
- Describe the process of “trust and track” and why it’s better than fear-based management and “command and control?” Why do you think fear-based management is, sadly, so common in so many industries and companies of all sizes?
- Can you talk about the role of transparency in your daily management and the impact it has on your employees?
- How does Nick find managers who are “coaches, not cops”?
- What’s the difference between purpose, values, vision, and mission?
- Why is trust so important in an organization?
- Why does clarity have to exist around purpose in an organization?
- Does the younger generation have a higher expectation of leadership today?
- What are “ops cards” and how are they like standardized work?
You can use the player (use the VCR-type controls) at the top of the post to listen to a streaming version of the podcast (or click here for the streaming audio and RSS subscription). The streaming link is faster for one-time listening (hardly any delay to start listening). Or you can use the download link to put it on your iPod or other MP3 player.
A new way to listen to free streaming episodes of the podcast: Download the free Stitcher app and use promo code LEANBLOG for a chance to win $100.
If you have feedback on the podcast, or any questions for me or my guests, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call and leave a voicemail by calling the “Lean Line” at (817) 776-LEAN (817-776-5326) or contact me via Skype id “mgraban”. Please give your location and your first name. Any comments (email or voicemail) might be used in follow ups to the podcast.