Open Source "Lean Healthcare" Google Map

Process updated 8/12/09 based on feedback (see comments), changes in italics.

Note (8/23/12) — this map has not really been updated since 2010 and should not be considered complete or accurate.

Here is an open source experiment… I have started this custom Google Map that lists hospitals and healthcare organizations that are using Lean to at least some extent. You can access the map below or via the URL www.leanmaps.com.

Each pin on the map, ideally, will have a documented web reference to cite:
  • News article
  • Case study
  • Journal mention
Many of the initial pins are from the references on the LEI website’s Knowledge Center.
I need your help. You can click on the map and add organizations and references!
I don’t want this to be just anecdotal — “proven” cases ideally. There is still a ton of variation in what “using Lean” means, as this could mean a single departmental effort (whether is has sustained or not) or a hospital-wide cultural change.
Here is some rough Standardized Work for adding a pin to the map:
  1. Make sure you have a Google account and that you are signed in
  2. Click above to view it in a larger map (Google Maps view) or go to www.leanmaps.com
  3. Search for an organization name and city in the search box up top
  4. Click on the organization in the search results
  5. Click “Save to My Maps”
  6. Select “Healthcare Organizations…” and click Save
  7. Enter a URL of a case study in the box that appears above the blue pin OR enter a short description of the hospital’s lean journey
  8. Click “OK”
  9. I will likely remove blue pins that do not have any URL or description if I cannot find a reference online through google.

If the standardized work doesn’t work for you, as not the creator of the map, please comment on this post. I made it an open and editable map, I believe.

Here is a YouTube video that demonstrates how to add an organization.

Let’s see how this experiment works. Maybe this can be the best single reference of all hospitals that have used or are using Lean in the U.S. and around the world. If you add something to the map, please add a comment here so I know.

Tags: ,

17 Comments on "Open Source "Lean Healthcare" Google Map"

1. Joe Mitchell says:

Could you define "proven" more please? Having a published reference seems like a high standard.
    Thanks

Good question "proven" means just any reference (even a local paper story). That's the only way to screen out people just throwing hospitals on there.

It's not a perfect filter, but one I wanted to try. We could always do a second map for "undocumented" Lean cases. What do you think?

3. Rick says:

I have a good friend that worked for Ford implementing lean, who is now working for Cleveland Clinic, implementing lean.

I'm going to modify standardized work — either a URL/link to a news story or a short description of the hospital's lean journey would be OK, even if it's not independently verifiable. I'll likely remove blue pins that don't have any description at all (if I can't find anything through a google search).

5. Tania says:

I just added St. Clair Hospital in the Pittsburgh area which started a hospital-wide Toyota/Lean transformation in April 2008.

The press we've received has been for our new Emergency Dept (we didn't want to put broken processes into a new facility, so we've drastically reduced wait times and improved patient satisfaction). But we've also done intensive training (100% of all senior mgmt, directors and managers have had at least 8 hours of Toyota training, as well as about 20% of the total employee population) and are using Toyota methods to work on noise reduction, the discharge process, our room reservation process, our IV Pump request system, and a new grassroots green initiative at the hospital.

6. Janey says:

Mark,
    We; Spencer Hospital have a success story on the Iowa Healthcare Colaborative (IHC) website under the lean tab. http://www.ihconline.org/toolkits/leaninhealthcare.cfm
    We have been on the lean journey since Oct 2006.

7. Elli says:

It ´s interesting to see it in a map…

8. Doug says:

I added Winona Health in Winona, MN. I can't say we're a proven case, as we've just recently (last 12 months) begun our journey. For us it's an organizational priority.

9. Steve says:

What's labeled in Minnesota as "Nicollet Hospital" is actually Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital. I could follow the instructions to add a location, but didn't know how to edit the facility name. Thanks.
    Jodi Roehm
    Lead Kaizen Specialist
    Park Nicollet Health Services

Jodi – please email me — mgraban (at) yahoo.com and I'll work on getting that fixed.

11. Tim says:

Mark, I love the map and am intersted in using something like it to track projects that we have worked on in our hospital system. The idea would be to use a map of our campus and put pins in where we've completed projects. Are you aware of any application (I'm not sure that Google Maps has a map of our complex) or of what others may be doing to track the same type of "documented" improvements by location within a large complex?

Thanks,
    Tim

Tim – I don't know what to suggest other than playing around with Google Maps. You can place pins by address or even manually, I think.

13. MikeW says:

Mark,

I live in north Alabama and noticed that Huntsville Hospital (in Huntsville, AL) was listed on your map.

I called the hospital to see if they were lean. The first two people I spoke to knew nothing about what I was talking about … not a good sign.

I have left a voice message with a third person. Will let you know if they are lean.

Mike

• Mark Graban

Hi –

I know for a fact they have one internal Lean facilitator who they have hired… but, as you’d probably expect, having one “Lean person” isn’t going to lead to everybody in the organization knowing about Lean.

I think asking if they “are Lean” isn’t a good question to ask. I’d ask if they’re “practicing Lean” or at least working seriously in that direction.

Mark

• MikeW says:

I appreciate the map. I do wish there were an Excel list somewhere that would have the facility name, address, phone, and lean facilitator’s name.

Since a lean medical provider would (if done right) have higher quality and lower cost I would love to know of those in my area. Our group health plan is going to change dramatically this year thanks to the (un)Affordable Care Act. With higher deductibles, I would love to be able to give the names of these providers to our staff. It will save them money!

Thanks!

• Mark Graban

There are some new Google Maps features that allow you to have such a spreadsheet and then have the map locations be generated automatically. That would have been incredibly helpful to me when I started this project in 2009!