By January 1, 2009 8 Comments Read More →

A Twitter New Year

OK, so I’m on Twitter. www.twitter.com/leanblog. @leanblog is my name there.

“Follow” me, I guess. We’ll see if this is something I actually use. If you’re a reader, send me a twitter message and tell me how this could add value to the Lean Blog experience.

I’m not sure what this all means or if it’s worth anything. Thoughts on this as a Lean Blog reader?

Update: I might use Twitter to send out links to articles I read, but don’t do full blog posts about. Maybe that adds value to the Twitter followers.

Subscribe via RSS | Lean Blog Main Page | Podcast | Twitter @MarkGraban

Please check out my main blog page at www.leanblog.org

The RSS feed content you are reading is copyrighted by the author, Mark Graban.

, , , on the author’s copyright.

Tags: ,

8 Comments on "A Twitter New Year"

1. glanger says:

I just started using it as well. It another way to promote your blog and “web personality” – and of course let the whole world know what you are doing. BTW it also links to your Facebook status if you have one?

2. Scott says:

(I’ve added you on Twitter…I’m at http://twitter.com/scottsorheim)

I like Twitter…been on for a while now. It becomes far more interesting when there are people that share common interests. There are currently so few people that I have found in the lean (or also, for me, the manufacturing) community. Kind of like when I first got on Facebook two years ago…I was the only one I knew on it, so it was kind of like being the first one at a party and having nothing to do.

Along with Twitter, I think FriendFeed has far more potential to add value to a community. I wish more people would be on there. The conversations can be threaded together, and there is significantly more features to integrate, collaborate, create groups, have conversations, and share items you find around the Internet. I think the lean community could benefit from this capability greatly.

You can find me there at http://friendfeed.com/scottsorheim In fact, I just looked through my recently shared items on there and noticed I have at least one from you: http://friendfeed.com/e/ef3437d1-86b6-7e80-27b1-49bf1ae753f4/Another-Article-on-Firms-that-Don-t-Use/

3. Michael Lombard says:

Have you read the "5 Stages of Twitter Acceptance" article yet? (Link: http://rohitbhargava.typepad.com/weblog/2008/12/the-5-stages-of.html)

It helped me understand Twitter's potential. What 'glanger' described in his comment above is one of the most common uses for Twitter, and it falls under stages 2& 3.

Ultimately, the goal of Twitter is microblogging (stage 5). I see microblogging as a preparation for full blogging. I connect with bunches of like-minded folks, figure out what they're discussing, find relevant links, and test the waters with my ideas.

In Lean terms, think of a book as a huge batch of ideas, a blog post as a small batch of ideas, and a microblog tweet as a one-piece flow of ideas. By tweeting often, you figure out what works and what doesn't by the amount of people who follow you.

4. Ralf Lippold says:

Hi all,

Twitter is really about spreading the word of LEAN THINKING and get conversations going. So many initiatives ongoing in conversation and dialog, not so in the Lean Community and glad to see more of you around.

To be honest, I have felt a bit alone out there;-)

You will find me either @RalfLippold or @leanthinkers

Best regards

Ralf

5. Joe says:

Mark, FWIW, I dropped off Twitter last summer. I heard it was the thing to do, so I did it for about six months. I found it much more a distraction than a plus. I came to the conclusion it interrupted “single piece flow” for me as a knowledge worker.

I had read of the it as “microblogging” but I found little to be profound or helpful inn 140 characters. It was more “what I had for lunch today” type of stuff.

I’ll be interested to see what you find.

6. Michael Lombard says:

I can see validity in what Joe commented on above, especially if you follow people indiscriminately on Twitter. A lot of people do this to get reciprocal follows, thus helping them get the word out about their blog or whatever. That’s a good level 3 Twitter strategy. Guy Kawasaki, for example, follows everybody who follows him (a lot of people), but I don’t think he’s taking in info on Twitter as much as he’s giving it out.

I sort through people a little more thoroughly and try to find folks who consistently tweet on relevant topics (although I’m not all that picky). This reduces the amount of people that will follow me, but I’m not concerned w/ promoting my blog too much right now. I’m more concerned w/ finding new stories and supporting stories I think are important or amusing. Twitter works well for me in this regard.

It’s really fascinating to me that this famous Deming quote was being passed around Twitter today (discovered upon searching for any mention of Dr. Deming):

“It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.”l – W. Edwards Deming

8. Jayadeep(JDP) says:

I have been on twitter for more than 6 months and the key I guess is to pick folks with similar interest and who doesn’t create too much noise. I have been able to learn a lot on my topics of interest. I also believe that it is the best tool to keep in touch with friends as well. Surely, there is something about twitter that makes it a unique one.